24 Build your skill set
Pretend you are an entrepreneur starting a company to rebuild and redesign your chosen industry in a way that does good. What skills would you need in order to do this?
- Make a list of 15 things you would need to learn. Include everything from minor detail-oriented skills, (e.g. point-of-sale experiences) to global skills, (e.g. the industry’s current business model). Include all soft skills, (e.g. communication) as well as hard skills, (e.g. financial reporting and analysis).
- Add other interests you are eager to learn, which feed different parts of your character.
- Review the CLN Job Board and the Research Catalogue to search for opportunities that align with the skills you are hoping to build.
- Search by skills through the Co-Curricular Record (CCR) and Ulife for on-campus opportunities to build the skills needed to launch your dream career.
- If leadership is on your list, use Student Life Leadership Development as a source of training and community-building.
Interested in research? Learn about how to look for and apply to a research opportunity, and how you might contribute to research as an undergrad at the Engaging in Co-Curricular Research workshop.
Visit the Career Centre and meet with us for a 15-minute conversation to talk about your next step(s). Find our hours here.